2009-01-07

Que "Welcome Back, Kotter" Soundtrack...

After a hearty Christmas plunder, okay not really, I have immersed myself into one my favorite of pastimes. Music has triumphantly returned to my life with not one but two mp3 players that were given to me as gifts. All I can say is thank you thank you thank you.

Music has and hopefully will always be a big part of my life. From alternative to blues to classical to folk, I have always enjoyed a eclectic mix of sounds. However, I am saddened slightly that I didn't jumping into this whole portable mp3 player sooner or maybe I entered at the right time. After three years of relatively little music submersion due to, well, growing up, I received both an Ipod Nano and a Creative Zen. I can honestly say that I am blown away at what a quality product both of these players are. I imagine most players now are like this. After a few good listens with real song, I felt simultaneously irritated that I had waited so long and gratified technology can still really be such a great thing.


With a click of a button I am transferred to another dimension of melodical, sensory overload, one that I haven't visited since my long nights of studying in college. Now as I knock on the door of age 30, I take solice that I can still get carried away in a song, not caring for a thing in the world. It is not unlike what my girlfriend does nightly as she feverishly pages through books, ignoring all around her. For me, the music helps me escape my new everyday cubicle job life and sometimes actually gets me excited to go to work. Unlike a lot of the population, I work more efficiently with a toe-tapping beat, so my production has gone up significantly since the holiday break.


If anyone cares the two albums I am enjoying the most right now is Emotionalism by the Avett Brothers and Vampire Weekend by Vampire Weekend. Content that I do not have a lot of quality rocking banjo folk music in my life the Avett Brothers have blown me away we just how solid there entire album is from cover to cover. The pop rock Vampire Weekend has excellent sounds the reminiscent of Paul Simon, late 90's alt rock, and well circus organs (how's that for a review). Go find them and listen, you won't be disappointed.


Welcome back music, don't ever eff-ing leave again! Also, to every plugged out, hipster, huge-headphoned nerd out there, I t-o-t-a-l-l-y get you.